Welcome to the travel blog for the 2019 Menlo Abroad Guatemala trip.

Friday, May 17, 2019

Hello dear family and students,

I am writing you with a foggy view of the mountains of Xela and the rumble
of thunder as my backdrop, rainy season has begun! Xela, or Quetzaltenango,
is Guatemala’s second largest city and home to many of the mountains in the
country as well as my home for the last several months. I moved here for a while
to be closer to my partner who is Guatemalan. I am somewhat of a nomad as
I have lived most of my growing up years in Argentina, went to high-school and
college in Indiana, and after living in California for about a decade made my
way back South.
Ever since I was a small child I have been marveled and awed by the power
of mountains. Having grown up in the Global South, mostly Bolivia and
Argentina, I was surrounded by a different kind of mountain, but the countryside
here in Guatemala is one of verdant landscapes (especially during the rainy
season in which you all will arrive), profound histories, and welcoming environments
(people and landscapes). I am excited to be able to journey with you through these
fertile soils made from the volcanoes both active and inactive that give the people here
a kind story and a sustenance that may be unimaginable in the Global North.
This course will be my second in Guatemala and I am excited to share my experiences
and learn alongside intrepid travelers such as yourselves. I have instructed with Dragons
for two years now in Guatemala, PerĂº and Bolivia and I am eager to learn more about
the environments, people, and histories that I am always coming into contact with in
my life, especially through this kind of work. Besides being immersed in the natural world,
what brings me the most joy is being an active learner and listener and figuring out
solutions to complex questions that affect us on a daily basis. These solutions are
sometimes very simple like living with a smaller footprint and practicing compassion
and understanding with people that you may encounter on your daily routine.
My formation is as an English teacher but I have felt my calling outside of the walls of
a traditional classroom and immersed in the trees, the cornfields, and houses of
sometimes complete strangers who become close acquaintances through sharing
together what we have and who we are. I wish this kind of learning for you all as well
as we embark on our month-long adventure in the lowlands and highlands of Guatemala.
I am wishing you all the best during the final days you have at school and as you prepare
for our journey together both mentally and physically.
If you have any questions or concerns please reach out to Teto or me.
My email is raquel.wigginton@gmail.com. Following is also a link to my bio if you’d
like to know more about me: https://www.wheretherebedragons.com/staff/raquel-wigginton/
¡¡Un abrazo fuerte y hasta pronto!!

Raquel

Earth Lodge Day 2, Last Day in Guatemala

Hello from Earth Lodge. Today marked our last day in GuatemalađŸ˜¢ The whole day was spent reflecting on the trip and discussing how we can tr...

Guatemala Fights